Lennox mill store



Lennox Family
Photo Album
The future

On this page:


bulletLennox Mill Store
bulletCampsie Brass Band

Lennox Mill Store

Under the terms of their employment, householders employed at the works were obligated to have 'books' at the works stores, and were obliged to purchase the bulk of their provisions from these stores. In this way, the employers exploited the workers by making profit out of their labour, and by coercing them to use the works shop, caused them to hand most of their wages back to the mill owners. This system was in vogue in most mills. Viewed in the light of the present-day relations between employers and employees, the works store was a brutal and cruel institution. In Lennoxtown, the store, established in 1876, was owned by James McLintock & Sons. In the advertisement on this page (see picture), Mr. McLintock is listed as the sole proprietor of ' Kamsitea'.

Lennoxmill Store.jpg (65392 bytes)                                           McLintocks.jpg (140523 bytes)  





Campsie Brass Band

When the movement to get up a band was started in 1850, it was favourably received by the public, who subscribed the funds to purchase the instruments. A reed band of 16 performers, was enrolled. Most knew nothing of music or instrumentation, some didn't want to be 'fashed' or take much trouble to acquire the necessary training, so at the end of the first 3 months, there were a number of resignations and changes/

The first public appearance was at a concert on Campsie Fair Night, 1850, to raise funds for a right-of-way over the old road to the Clachan. They also turned out to a Masonic torchlight procession in December 1850.

The band languished for want of public support. There were long intervals between performance, and funds got low, and the bandsmen were disheartened having to take round the hat for subscriptions.

Practice virtually ceased about 1865, but the members mustered to accompany the procession that was to meet Mr. Dalglish in 1857. This was the last time the band played. 

A new band was 'got up' in 1857, the nucleus of the band being  formed by members of the now 'defunct' reed band. The new band was Brass instruments only. A number of willing members left the existing Flute band to join the Brass band, causing a little ill-feeling. 

The people of Lennoxtown were just beginning to waken up to the importance of the culture of music in the family circle, and pianos were becoming very common, and harmoniums were gradually being introduced.

At the time the report on the band was made in 1919, there was a feeling that it was about to be resurrected after a was time suspension. 


Back to: Points of Interest


   History        Campsonians    Lennox Family      Churches           Cholera  

   Strike          White fields       Points of Interest  Photo Album   Population   

   Memories    The future         Bibliography         Links



                                                    Home Next 


                                                        Return to top of page